|Send email to Lido 8 Cineplex|
The site of Shaw House and Lido Theatre was originally part of Grant No. 23 from the East India Company to William Scott on 2 April 1845. When Shaw House was acquired by Shaw and Shaw Pte Ltd in January 1952, it was nothing but vacant land with an Esso petrol station. This half million square feet of land was levelled by the Shaws for redevelopment in December 1956. Piling started in February 1957 and the whole complex, comprising some 118,000 square feet on ten storeys obtained its Certificate of Fitness on 28th January 1958. The original Shaw House was declared officially opened by Mr Lim Yew Hock on 22 November 1958. Lido obtained its Certificate on 4th February 1959 and opened with the charity premiere of MGM's 'Torpedo Run' two days later. It had a capacity of 1602. The opening ceremony was performed by His Excellency the Commissioner-General for South East Asia, Sir Robert Scott. From the fifties to the eighties, Lido was the venue for many charity premieres. VIPs like Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong, Mr Wong Kan Seng and BG George Yeo graced many charitable events in Lido. Lido soon became the cinema where Singaporeans came to watch blockbusters. As a first-run hall it wasn't uncommon to see massive lines of people every weekend. Over the years, many visiting stars have made Lido a stopover. Stars like Eva Gabor, Bo Derek, Jet Li, Dolph Lungren, Michelle Yeo and Patrick Stewart have been spotted there. In 2001, Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz and Cameron Crowe graced Lido's red carpets and took 2 hours to greet all his 10,000 over fans for the movie Vanilla Sky. In 1993, the present Shaw House opened its doors to the public after three years of reconstruction. It became a 22 storey complex comprising 5 floors of shopping and restaurants operated by Isetan, the five-screen Lido Cineplex and 12 floors of offices. The Lido lobby of the 90s includes a food court area with a large video screen. The cineplex boasted Singapore's first THX hall with SDDS, DTS, SRD as well as Dolby SR. State of the art projection and sound systems continue to make movie going in the Lido an experience like no other. In 1996 Lido cineplex underwent renovations again and an eight-screen cineplex was unveiled. In 2004, Lido One was refitted with 780 brand new cushion seats which is the largest cinema screen in the shopping district - Orchard area of Singapore. Lido Two which had their new 503 seats done in 2003, is the 2nd largest cinema. Lido One became the largest digital hall in Singapore in 2006. Lido 2 has also been added a Barco 2K projector with GDC Server to show Hollywood digital movies.